Analysis & Preparation of Shareholder, Operating, Partnership & Other Ownership Agreements
Successful entrepreneurs thrive by thinking several steps ahead of others, whether it is their competition, the regulatory environment they operate in, or their entire industry. Preparing and crafting effective ownership agreements among business owners requires the use of similar critical thinking skills. We work with business owners to understand their businesses and formulate ownership agreements that address issues critical to the continuation of the business, including:
- Ownership Succession – Who will own and operate the business if an owner retires, becomes disabled or passes away? Who will be the successor? What are the short- and long-term strategies to continue the operation of the business?
- Owner’s Financial Security – What are the income and asset needs of the business owner and the owner’s spouse if the owner desires to retire or unexpectedly dies?
- Valuing the Business – How to establish a favorable price for a business interest that may not be readily marketable?
- Transitioning Ownership – Will family members of the owner come into the business? How should the owner address varying levels of skill or interest in the business among family members?
- Estate Planning – How does owning the business affect the owner’s planning for estate and income taxes, in connection with the owner’s desires for the ultimate distribution of the estate to the beneficiaries? How do we address distributions among future business owner beneficiaries and non-business beneficiaries?
Through a careful understanding of the economic and non-economic needs of the business, both present and future, together with a thorough understanding of legal and tax issues, our attorneys craft ownership agreements that capture your passion for your business now and in the future.