Legally Change Your Name

An adult may use any name he or she chooses, as long as doing so does not defraud or infringe on the rights of another. However, in order to formally and legally change your name, it is necessary to make an application to the Supreme Court and provide the court with extensive information, including a reasonable justification for your request. In the case of a child, both parents must approve of the requested name change.

If the request is approved by the court, formal notification of the name change must be published in an appropriate newspaper before the change becomes effective. Once the name change is complete, the court’s order will enable you to obtain a modified birth certificate, passport, Social Security card, driver’s license and other forms of identification, which will reflect the change.

Our attorneys have the experience to guide you through the process of a legal name change, including:

Contact an Attorney