Civil Litigation; Medical Malpractice; Hospital Malpractice; Wrongful Death; Product Liability; Personal Injury; Automobile Accidents; Nursing Home Neglect and Abuse; Business and Commercial Litigation
Peter Rodgers represents individuals in trials involving personal injury, medical malpractice, product liability, wrongful death and business disputes. His work in medical malpractice has involved cardiac, neurologic, obstetrical, orthopedic, vascular and infectious disease lawsuits including the failure to diagnose cancer, heart disease and infectious disease. Peter has represented patients who are victims of surgical error and emergency room neglect. He also has represented those injured or killed in auto, premises and workplace accidents.
Some examples of medical malpractice verdicts and settlements include:
- Esophageal intubation: settlement $6.85 million
- Lacerated carotid artery: settlement $2.1 million
- No treatment of increased intraocular pressure: settlement $2.5 million
- Injured intestine during C section: settlement $1.05 million
- Failure to diagnose cerebral hemorrhage: settlement $1.5 million
- Injured bowel during gall bladder surgery: verdict $1.25 million
- Cut ureter during oophorectomy: settlement $5.5 million
- Failure to diagnose Compartment Syndrome: settlement $930,000
- Intra partum birth asphyxia causing cerebral palsy: settlement $5.5 million
- Failure to promptly diagnose and properly treat post-operative infection: settlement $1.5 million
- Failure to correctly interpret EKG in a middle age man who subsequently dies from heart attack: settlement $800,000
- Erb’s Palsy injury caused by negligent delivery: settlement $1.2 million
- Failure to correctly interpret a CT scan of chest and abdomen depriving a cancer patient of the opportunity for prompt treatment of cancer recurrence: settlement $1 million
- Failure to maintain proper cuff pressure in endotracheal tube resulting in tracheal necrosis: settlement $750,000
- Failure to properly place a feeding tube: settlement $100,000
- Failure to properly place a chest tube resulting in severe injury: settlement $2.5 million
- Neurological injury to arm and hand during rotator cuff surgery: settlement $195,000
- Failure to monitor patient following lumbar puncture resulting in patient’s fall and shoulder injury: settlement $195,000
- Improper post operative pain medication in a surgical patient with a history of sleep apnea resulting cardiac arrest: settlement $250,000
- Failure to perform arterial doppler study to rule out arterial blood clot in the leg: settlement $1,000,000.
- Failure to timely and accurately diagnose symptoms of a stroke resulting in partial loss of arm function: settlement $550,000
- Perforation of the stomach during laparoscopic procedure: settlement $1,725,000
- Failure of emergency room to protect the airway of a patient unable to swallow resulting in asphixiation: settlement $1,925,000
- Failure to protect a non displaced cervical spine fracture from displacement leading to neurological injury
- Failure to timely and accurately diagnose and treat an arteriovenous malformation in the brain of an infant
- Failure to properly perform cataract surgery leading to loss of vision in one eye
- Failure to diagnose bladder tumor: settlement $520,000
- Error in vascular embolization procedure causing injury: settlement $3,000,000
- Failure to properly remove colon polyp resulting in injury: settlement $450,000
- Failure to rule out a suspected rare autoimmune disease leading to kidney damage: settlement $650,000
- Failure to accurately read a CT scan as showing an aneurysm of a major artery, depriving the patient of surgical repair before rupture: settlement $1.1 million.
Some examples of personal injury verdicts and settlements:
- Woman suffers head injury in MVA accident: settlement $2.4 million
- Woman suffers broken bones in MVA accident: settlement $700,000
- Man injured in work accident: verdict $350,000
- Man injured in fall at store: verdict $350,000
- Man injured in motorcycle accident: $1,000,000
Prior results do not guarantee similar outcomes.
Professional and Community Affiliations
Trustee of the Monroe County Bar Association
Chair of the Courts Committee
Association of Trial Lawyers of America
New York State Trial Lawyers Association
Past president of the Genesee Valley Trial Lawyers Association
Chair of the Attorney Grievance Committee of the Seventh Judicial District by the Appellate Division, Fourth Department
Trustee of McQuaid Jesuit High School
Chair of McQuaid Jesuit High School Board of Trustees
- State University of New York at Buffalo (J.D.)
- Fordham University (B.A.)
- New York State Bar
- United States District Courts
Peter T. Rodgers is a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers. Founded in 1950, the College is composed of the best of the trial bar from the United States and Canada. Fellowship in the College is extended by invitation only and only after careful investigation, to those experienced trial lawyers who have mastered the art of advocacy and whose professional careers have been marked by the highest standards of ethical conduct, professionalism, civility and collegiality. Lawyers must have a minimum of fifteen years of trial experience before they can be considered for Fellowship.
Peter is listed in Best Lawyers in America and New York Super Lawyers. He received the Best Lawyer’s highest distinction of “Lawyer of the Year in Medical Malpractice – Plaintiffs” in 2013 and 2017 for Rochester, New York. He is an Advocate in the American Board of Trial Advocates and holds an “AV Preeminent Attorney,” the highest rating from Martindale-Hubbell. Peter was recognized as a “Leader in Law” by the Daily Record in 2011.
Peter resides in Rochester, New York, with his wife.