Real Property Tax Certiorari & Eminent Domain Attorneys
Our attorneys are actively involved in all aspects of real property tax certiorari and eminent domain/condemnation proceedings. We work with cities, towns, villages and school districts, as well as individuals, businesses and property owners, to handle a variety of proceedings for all types of properties, including residential, commercial, industrial and specialty. Our litigation attorneys have successfully prosecuted and defended many diverse valuation and exemption proceedings and are experienced in representing all sides of condemnation or “takings” cases. We achieve substantial assessment reductions and tax refunds for property owners, and successfully defeat such claims on behalf of municipalities and school districts.
We are also well-versed in the many sub-specialties of these areas of law, such as special districts, refunds and interpretation of governing legal authorities, such as New York’s Real Property Tax Law, Eminent Domain Procedure Law, local and state regulations, and New York State Real Property Tax officials. We negotiate with and on behalf of assessors, boards of assessment review, municipal officials and legislators; have written and spoken extensively on all manners of real property tax assessment; and have the trial experience necessary to effectively represent your interests.
Our services include:
- Conducting threshold reviews and analyzing property tax issues and potential financial exposure
- Recommending and collaborating with qualified real property appraisers and other experts as needed
- Analyzing and incorporating settlement agreements of provisions for retroactive and prospective benefits
- Working with appraisers and other professionals in all manner of property valuation disputes
- Litigation, including motion practice, trial and appellate advocacy